Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Blessing of Weekends

I have been growing in appreciation for weekends since Garrett and I got married. I love sleeping in (you know, 6:30 or 7:00 - which is a sleep-in compared to the normal 5:30 a.m. wake-up!). I love getting coaxed out of bed by my husband for a brisk morning run. I love coming home and settling down on a comfy chair to spend some time with the Lord. I love hearing the beans grinding as Garrett makes coffee. I love having a leisurely breakfast, talking and laughing together, having a longer family worship time, not having to worry about running out of minutes. I love knowing that Garrett is home all day long, not rushing out the door to work. I love running errands together and working side-by-side on things at home. I love going to bed, knowing the next day is the Lord's day, a day of rest and worship and fellowship.

It's like a little present every week, a gift from the Lord. Not that we deserve it for working throughout the week. Not that we are to use it carelessly and mindlessly. And not that I am to live life in full anticipation of the weekend, forgetting to be grateful for all of the days God gives me.

Because the weekend always brings just that - the end of a week. It always comes to an end, so it's not something that is worth living my whole life for. In one sense, Monday mornings are just as much a blessing as Saturday mornings. It's a blessing each day to wake up, to live and breath and have the ability to do things. My husband helps me remember this, but I need to keep learning to be thankful each day and to ask the Lord for help to serve Him with gladness.

"Satisfy us in the morning with Your steadfast love,
That we may rejoice and be glad all our days."
--Psalm 90:14


No comments:

Post a Comment